Friday, December 4, 2009

How To Write Your Follow Friday Tweets

I changed my mind about posting tomorrow, I still am but I'm posting this one today as well. This post is specifically about one thing that I've been meaning to write about. A trend on Twitter called Follow Friday. Now if your an old user of twitter you know what this is, but you may not know how to use it or you are looking for a new way to introduce the people you follow to your followers. If you are a Twitter newbie then this is your guide.

I LOVE Follow friday and Twitter and you should too because it a way to introduce those you follow to your followers. And you should do it in your own unique way and not the lists of users with the #FF or #FollowFriday hastag at the beginning or end of that tweet.

Now for newbies- a hashtag is this # just that and then you put whatever your subject is that you want to have as a trend at the end of this in one sentance, no spaces. Such as- #topmoviesof2009 or #followfriday or #red and these create trends that others can join into.

Some people do Follow friday tweets in their own way or the original- a tweet listed with just usernames and then on of the Follow friday hashtags, which I believe to be BORING and unimaginative, unless of course you have a little saying at the beginning like, "friends who make me smile," or "Tweeter filled with information at their finger tips."

Now for Follow friday what you do it this- You tell your followers who they should follow and WHY! I mean come on, are you really going to follow someone you don't know that's in a list like this- "#FF @blah @boring1 @tweetdledee @tweetdledum @dontfollowme @imboring @eheheheh @blaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah" (No these aren't real usernames. I just made them up....I hope.)

Ask yourself would I follow these people if I saw a list like that? If the answer is no, then why do it yourself if you wouldn't follow those people? If yes, read this blog two more times. The point of Follow Friday is to INDRODUCE THOSE YOU FOLLOW TO YOUR FOLLOWERS!

Below I am going to show you how I do my tweets, maybe they will give you some ideas, and yes these are real ones that I've done already.

  • Follow @fjfonseca because he's inteliigent, fun and funny and a great Waver! He's a MUST follow for all. <3>
  • Follow @lindsayrcg because she's incredibaly sweet and funny. Built with a heart of gold and a lovely writer. She's a complete joy! <3>
  • Follow this woman because she is pure lovelines and fun. She's friendly and funny and a woman with a beautiful heart. @arbonneteam #FF
  • Lovely people with a heart so big and a personality that keeps my smile strong. @mitzchi @AhhPhotography @keeperofdreams @Mithroi #FF
  • Follow @michelangelo200 because he is such a friendly, lovely and fun man to be friends with here!!! <3>
  • Follow my dear, lovely friend @DrJays Intelligent & Intel smart. Funny & amazing fun! Kind & sweet & filled with a big heart! <3>

See what I mean? Those are personlized tweets ABOUT those specific PEOPLE! They aren't robots you do a roll call for. There are many ways to do your Follow friday tweets, you can list down 2-4 people 5 if you can manage saying WHY they should be followed. You can put down one person in your Follow Friday tweet and explain WHY they should be followed, you can list their personliaty like I do sometimes and all sorts of things. There's a person I follow who does hilarious nonsense tweets that are just FUN! Such as:

It's funny (and I promise, not true.) But it's imaginative. That tweet right there says "Follow this person, I like them enough to make fun of them and they like me enough to let them." It also says "This person is fun so follow them, why else would I put this silly rubbish down?"

Your Follow Friday tweets should be personlized in some way! In the way your comfortable with, I just hope you're not more comfortable with those lousy lists. Although these are nice too:

So please don't be boring and blah and eh by listing your Follow friday Tweets with no WHY or EXPLAINATION. Personlize. (Oh, and please do follow those I did my Follow Friday Tweets about.)

1 comment: